The “Galette des Rois” is a celebration of Epiphany, the day the Three Kings (les rois) visited the infant Jesus. It is usually baked throughout January in France and comes with a crown and a charm. Like many other french traditional recipes, the Galette is an opportunity for fun with family and friends as the lucky guest finding the charm in its slice gets to be the king or the queen of the day!
You can find many recipes of the Galette, from the brioche to the frangipani filling. We will share here an easy family recipe that fast to make, that doesn’t request any cooking skills and that we encourage to make with your kids!
What you need.
Filling. Mix :
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (85 grams) sugar
- ¾ cup (85 grams) almond flour
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon rum (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or almond extract
Assemble. Pour the mix in between:
- Pour the mix in between 2 puff-pastry sheets
- Don’t forget to insert a charm or a bean before covering with the 2nd dough (optional)
- Brush 1 yellow egg over the top of the galette
Pro Tip: To make sure the 2 doughs are well sealed together, brush the border of the 1st dough, with a little of water. Place the second dough on top and weld the edges by pressing well with your fingertips, as close as possible to the filling.
Pre-heat your oven at 400 F. Bake 30-40 minutes.
The best way to serve the galette.
Make eating the galette a fun family game. Tuck a charm into the filling, get the youngest child under the table, and ask him or her to spell the name of the guest who to give a slice of cake, one after the other. You can also put the children to work crafting a paper crown.
- The lucky guest finding the charm in its slice will be the king or the queen of the day!
- If you don’t have a crown at hand, put the kids to work to make themselves a crown for this special day.
Ready to get started? Get your kids in the kitchen and try this easy recipe with them. Any other favorite recipe or tutorial that you like to start the year with? Submit your ideas by email.
As Amazon’s affiliate company, if you buy some products from some links inserted in the text of this blog post, we may get a small share of the revenue from the sale. This is how our web app Teuko.com can remain free to use. Any feedback? Email us at email@example.com