Lan is a mom of two young daughters living in San Francisco. She’s also the founder of Wink Sunwear (www.winksunwear.com), a unique collection of hats and sunglasses for kids that elegantly integrates into one simple unit. Despite her busy schedule, Lan teams up with her husband to pack lunch every day for their daughters. Healthy food is a major pillar of their lifestyle that brings her family all together; packing lunch is her way of remaining consistent with that endeavour.
- Tell us briefly about your lunchbox routine?
Lunch boxes are always packed in the morning to keep food fresher longer. Family dinners mostly drive the main lunchbox dish for the following day. No specific lunch meal planning, no weekly lunch meal preparation: the attention is primarily on healthy dinners which facilitate an easier lunch packing process for the following morning. Our school lunches generally include a main dish and two other smaller containers of fruits &/or vegetables.
- What do you use Teuko for?
I enjoy Teuko’s weekly emails and browse for lunchbox ideas. I also share some of my lunchbox meals in order to inspire other parents.
- What is your best hack against the lunchbox blues?
Embrace the daily task of nourishing our children with a high value on healthy food choices. The Bay Area is a food haven so having the perspective of being able to have healthy food options available makes the daily task very motivating. Our refrigerator is often stocked with ingredients for green smoothies and Acai bowls which can be made in minutes and is naturally nutrient dense. However, on days when eating the rainbow is not an option, simply boiling pasta and serving it with marinara sauce is always available as well.
BONUS: Lan’s family favourites…
- Grocery List Staples: beans, onions, rice, pasta, fish, meats for Bolognese, cheese, red & green cabbage, romaine lettuces, spinach, kale, Swiss chard, cucumbers, asparagus, carrots, celery, fennel, tomatoes,avocados, apple, bananas, pears, oranges, pineapple, mango, Acai, strawberries, blueberries, potatoes (Yukon gold and sweet)
- Lunchbox Idea: One daughter loves all things fruit while the other favours green smoothies, bread and cheese. (See Lan’s ideas on Teuko.com)
- Lunch Bag? Pottery Barn.
- Lunch Box container? Glassware to be reheated or stainless steel.
- Water Bottle? Camelback , Swell or stainless steel.